Andrew Carver is the Executive Director of International Affairs. As SIU’s principal international education administrator, Dr. Carver provides campus-wide leadership for international recruitment and enrollment management, educational support services and community outreach, immigration services, global partnership, and study abroad programs. Dr. Carver received his M.Sc. from the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, Purdue University and his Ph.D. from the Department of Agronomy, Purdue University. Since joining the SIU faculty in 1998, Dr. Carver’s passion for international education has shaped his teaching and research programs in conservation planning and sustainable development. He has led students from both the arts and sciences on study abroad field courses in the lowland tropical forests of Panama. Recent research projects include the development of domestic and international land and water allocation models, building public-private partnerships for resource sustainability, and biodiversity conservation in the urban-rural interface. His work has been presented in over 20 countries and he has served as invited speaker for various agencies including USAID Regional Environmental Program for Central America, U.S.D.A Foreign Agriculture Service and the Republic of Panama Inter-Oceanic Regional Authority. He has also served as a visiting scientist with the U.S. Forest Service International Institute of Tropical Forestry’s International Cooperation Unit in Puerto Rico.
The Center of International Education is responsible for promoting and coordinating international initiatives at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. We celebrate the global community, encouraging awareness, interaction and integration of world cultures. We are devoted to student success, nurturing academic, professional, social, and personal growth.
The Center for International Education strives to:
- Recruit, admit, enroll and retain students from every nation.
- Educate international students regarding immigration policies and University procedures and facilitate their campus assimilation.
- Inform students of the myriad of study abroad opportunities worldwide.
- Encourage faculty, staff and student exchange through the development of global academic partnerships.
- Coordinate campus initiatives that support the academic mission of the University by providing leadership that enhances our international dimension.
In doing so, the Center for International Education transforms lives and brings the world to Southern Illinois.
For more information click here.