Message from the Provost
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is a comprehensive research university that offers a vast array of excellent undergraduate and graduate academic programs on one of the most attractive campus settings in the United States. Students from every state in the union and 112 different countries come to Carbondale to learn, interact, and pursue their future goals and directions. We pride ourselves on being a national research university with the heart of a small college. While there are many positives about the University, we are particularly proud of the following:
- SIUC is classified by The Carnegie Foundation as Research Universities (high research activity), one of only 76 public universities that holds this prestigious designator.
- SIUC is a large family with over 20,000 students and over 200,000 graduates located throughout the world.
- SIU Carbondale is rated by U.S. News and World Reports as one of its Best Colleges for 2013. We are ranked among the top 100 public universities in the nation.
- SIUC is well known for its diverse student population. The University has a history of success and commitment to faculty and student diversity, individuals with disabilities, and international students. We received the first-ever Higher Education Excellence in Diversity award from INSIGHT Into Diversity Magazine.
- SIUC has a large and varied library with award-winning collections in many areas. It is currently ranked in the top 100 of all academic research libraries in the U.S. and Canada; among publicly supported institutions in the U.S. Morris Library ranks in the top 60.
- SIUC's faculty represents a talented group of individuals with exceptional academic and professional credentials. Over 80% of full-time instructional faculty holds the doctorate or terminal degree in their field.
- SIUC faculty and staff generated over $68 million in grants and contracts. We rank #101 by the National Science Foundation among public universities for research expenditures in science and engineering fields.
- SIUC offers degrees in 88 undergraduate programs and 110 graduate and professional programs. Many of our programs are nationally recognized and certified by professional and academic accrediting bodies.
- We award over $215 million dollars in financial aid and scholarships annually to SIUC students. Financial help is awarded to nearly 80% of our students.
- The Princeton Review named SIU Carbondale's College of Business as one of the nation's "Best 296 Business Schools" for 2013.
SIU Carbondale has developed an excellent strategic plan that provides an exciting blue print for the future direction of the university. Our goal is to become one of the best public, student-responsive research universities in the United States. We encourage you to learn more about Southern Illinois University Carbondale by viewing our Fact Book, View Book, and websites for each academic college and school, and by taking time to visit our beautiful campus and to let our students, faculty, and staff tell you about your future university.
Interim Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs